My Shopping List
Sweet Potato Creme Brulee
Courtesy of North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr. 55 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 large sweet potatoes
+ 1-3/4 c. sugar, divided
+ 1/2 c. sour cream
+ 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
+ 3 c. whipping cream
+ 1 vanilla bean
+ 1 Tbsp. vanilla
+ 12 egg yolks
What to do:
1. Bake sweet potatoes in center of 325ÂºF oven until tender, about 1 hr. Peel sweet potatoes and puree until smooth. Combine sweet potato puree, 1/4 c. sugar, sour cream and lemon juice; mix well.
2. Butter 10 (7-oz.) ramekins; sprinkle with sugar. Spoon 1/4-in. layer of sweet potato mixture (about 3 Tbsp.) into ramekins. Set ramekins in 9x13x2-in. baking dish; set aside.
3. In saucepan, combine whipping cream, 3/4 c. sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; and stir in vanilla. Mix egg yolks with remaining 3/4 c. sugar. Blend hot cream into egg yolk mixture.
4. Fill ramekins with egg mixture. Place in center of oven at 325ÂºF. Pour enough hot water into baking dish to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake 55 min. or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove ramekins from water to a wire rack and cool. Chill in refrigerator.
5. To make decorative golden sugar garnish: Heat additional 1/2 c. sugar in heavy small skillet over medium heat until melted. Drizzle sugar onto lightly buttered baking sheet with a fork. Let stand until cool. Break into large pieces.
6. At serving time, sprinkle ramekins with sugar if desired, place under broiler to brown sugar; garnish with golden sugar pieces.
* Recipe courtesy of Chef Warren Stephens.